There could be 10 different reasons to have a specific pattern of domain name considering brand value, technical architecture, personal liking, search engine optimizations, etc.Understand, this blog is just to help you achieve the results and not about explaining each bit of code.
- This tutorial assumes that you have enough technical knowledge about setting up a website on apache.
- If you are using Linux make sure you have superuser privileges, i.e. sudo or root, on the server that is running Apache.
- It is assumed that you have Apache installed.
- You must be able to add records to the DNS that is managing your domain. If you do not already have a domain, you may purchase one from a domain registrar, and manage it with the registrar’s DNS.
- Enable Rewrite Module: In order to perform the 301 redirect, we will use the Apache mod_rewrite, or Rewrite, module. Doing so will ensure that your users can access your site with or without the www. prefix, and be redirected to the domain that you prefer.
- Created an .htaccess file on the web server root folder.
Apache htaccess configurations to redirect from www to non-www and vice-versa with https options on/off.
If you are reading this post, it means you are technical enough to understand about this topic. So let me quickly jump to specific solutions to different requirements:
Condition 1: To get www without https
- http://example.com ⇨ http://www.example.com
- https://example.com ⇨ http://www.example.com
- https://www.example.com ⇨ http://www.example.com